Friday, December 21, 2012

Whole New World

Today was the day the Mayan Long Calendar ran out, and rumors have been flying for weeks about a great Apocalypse that was supposed to end the world. For me, it was a source of a lot of jokes, but I understand many folks took the whole thing seriously. People all over the world were reportedly maxing out credit cards, having indiscriminate sex, probably a little pillaging and burning too. For those poor souls, it probably will feel like the end of the world in the light of day.

I choose to look at this as an opportune time to start over. Make it be true that your old world ended, and tomorrow morning you get to start out with a fresh new life. The first day of the rest of your life. Winter is beginning, the new year is only days away, and you and the world have survived the apocalypse! What better day to start fresh?!

For my fresh start, I'd like to try to be a more thoughtful and giving person, to do what I'm able for those less fortunate than myself. I have good role models in my sister-in-law, whom has dedicated her life to befriending and helping homeless youth, and a friend who has a heart of pure gold, and works tirelessly with area free clinics and charities, among other selfless souls I have had the privilege of knowing. I don't have much to give, but you don't need to have or give much to make a difference. I would also like to be more patient, more understanding, less judgmental, less critical, less pessimistic, and just a nicer person to be around. Attainable goals with effort.

Quitting smoking, giving up soda, and losing weight are resolves I make every year, and fail at every year. I decided last year that to place them on my resolutions list only sets me up for disappointment in myself. If I don't make that promise to myself, then if I succeed... FANTASTIC! But if I fail, I am NOT a failure, because it wasn't a goal I'd set for myself for the year. To feel like a failure defeats the whole purpose of the mission of trying to better yourself and your life, which is the point of New Years Resolutions, so why would you set yourself up for it before you even begin?

So, come morning, I will be grateful to still be here, and for another chance to start fresh. I will try to be worthy of a second chance. I will view the world as bright and shiny and new.


As the song goes, "A whole new world. A new fantastic point of view. No one to tell us no, or where to go. Or say we're only dreaming. A whole new world. A dazzling place I never knew. But when I'm way up here, it's crystal clear. That now I'm in a whole new world with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment